[TriLUG] Tri-LUG member web sites, was [What about an "unofficial" February Meeting, for those without SO's??]

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Jan 28 11:34:52 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 11:21, prhodes at vdsinc.com wrote:
> That's a darn good idea, John.  And it seems like there /was/ some
> discussion, at one time, of Tri-LUG providing
> personal web pages for members.  I think maybe lack of disk space was the
> hold-up on that? Although I could
> be mistaken.

If you have a fatalpha account, you can create a public_html directory
and do all that yourself.

http://www.trilug.org/~alchemist/ for example *grin*

> In the meantime, a short-term suggestion would be to add a "members" page
> to the main Tri-LUG page,
> and provide a link the the member's existing home page ( for those who have
> one ).

As we don't currently have that info in the membership database, it's
kind of tough. What I've been hoping to build is a "member tool" to
extend the exising membership database to do the following :

Update your contact info
Links to Change your mailman setup(s)
Update a publicly viewable member registry

> What do you guys think about doing that?  It wouldn't take up a lot of
> space, and it would be
> (fairly) easy to implement. I'll even volunteer to help do it, if you guys
> think it's a good idea.

Ooh. A volunteer. That's what, two? Three?

Would this be something to do as part of the hosting project? If so, we
can get started on it soon, but probably aught to move the technical
discussion over to that list?

Hmm. We'd need a shared dev env (probably cvs for now) to work on it,
and a test url (I think we cna do that easy) to work with, right? *grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9