[TriLUG] RunLevels

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 28 15:01:41 EST 2002

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this.)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3 if you do not have networking.)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11 (the same as 3 but launch server with GUI)
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this.)

The "real world" or straight dope:
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2001-01/lw-01-geek_1.html

The sys admin guide version of the world:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/sag/x2111.html

Note, there is a Standards group that has set a universal standard that all
Linux's are supposed to use.  I believe it follows the "real world"
version... Isn't that just like Linux folks! to ignore the academia and go
with what works...

Jon