[TriLUG] February Meeting

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Jan 28 17:19:33 EST 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, al johson wrote:

>    One thing that IS definitely driving me nuts is the fact that Trilug
> always seems to think that there is always a "better" meeting somewhere else
> than the one that has been  scheduled!! This would be OK if the "new
> speaker" were to appear at Dreyfus Auditorium and we didn't have to drive to
> some place in Durham which we've never been before!! Frankly, I'm not too
> crazy about driving around unknown places in Durham in the dark, which has
> the dangerous possibility of becoming lost in a bad neighborhood you
> shouldn't be in!!

Al, I'm sorry this drives you nuts that the meeting is in a new
location.  However, as with Eben Moglen's talk, we are expecting a larger
number of attendees, and Dreyfus simply isn't big enough.   Even if we
don't publicize outside of TriLUG and NC*SA, the joint membership is too
large.  I understand there was a larger auditorium at RTI possibly
available, but they charge a large fee for its use, and as you know TriLUG
does not currently have a lot of money.

Also, the location (NCSSM) is NOT in a bad neighboorhood -- it's near
Duke's East campus and Ninth St, and is not far from the Durham
Freeway.  We've posted careful directions; you should not get lost.  Also,
we've already had one meeting there.
Here are directions including a map, which should pinpoint the location
exactly for you:
	http://www.trilug.org/~jeremy/ncssm_directions.html
(yeah, the links don't work because that page is intended to go on the
main site)

I will point out that the NCSSM site is less conducive to interruptions
and heckling -- if that makes you feel any better about the talk! :)

--Jeremy
(please e-mail me if you have any questions about getting to NCSSM.)