[TriLUG] backing up to hard drives instead of tape?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 15:09:22 EST 2002

We do this.  We have always hung an external drive case off our main file
server for use by folks as a backup area.  When it got full we backed the
data off to tape and wiped the area clean.

Now we have a separate box running IDE RAID-1 with 6 very large IDE drives.
This gives us a huge Backup repository that we can then back-off to tape
during the week.  The cost was very cheap.  The speed is very fast.

Jon