[TriLUG] PHP/MySQL - the RPM way ?

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jan 31 11:23:25 EST 2002

I'm trying to figure out how to install PHP/MySQL the RPM way as
envisioned by Red Hat.  I know how to build PHP from source to include the
MySQL libraries, but there ought to be a way to avoid that.

I have a RHL 7.2 box (upgraded from 7.1) -- it installed PHP 4.0.6 and two
related packages -- php-ldap and php-imap.  This implies that there should
be php-mysql and php-postgresql packages to enable PHP to connect to those
databases, right?  But no such packages exist in the distribution.
Red Hat does include mysql packages for MySQL 3.23.41.

How does Red Hat expect PHP/MySQL to work when they compiled PHP without
mysql support, and don't publish packages to add this support?  There
appear to be Mandrake php-mysql packages available, but I'm not interested
in the trouble it would take to convert those to Red Hat's
conventions.  (If I wanted to mess with that, I'd just compile PHP.)

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks,

Jeremy