[TriLUG] PHP/MySQL - the RPM way ?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jan 31 11:39:09 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 09:23, Jeremy P wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to install PHP/MySQL the RPM way as
> envisioned by Red Hat.  I know how to build PHP from source to include the
> MySQL libraries, but there ought to be a way to avoid that.
>
> I have a RHL 7.2 box (upgraded from 7.1) -- it installed PHP 4.0.6 and two
> related packages -- php-ldap and php-imap.  This implies that there should
> be php-mysql and php-postgresql packages to enable PHP to connect to those
> databases, right?  But no such packages exist in the distribution.
> Red Hat does include mysql packages for MySQL 3.23.41.
>
> How does Red Hat expect PHP/MySQL to work when they compiled PHP without
> mysql support, and don't publish packages to add this support?  There
> appear to be Mandrake php-mysql packages available, but I'm not interested
> in the trouble it would take to convert those to Red Hat's
> conventions.  (If I wanted to mess with that, I'd just compile PHP.)
>
> Am I missing something obvious here?

Yes, I'm also running RH 7.2 and I have the following:

[edhill at XXX ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i php
php-4.0.6-7
asp2php-gtk-0.75.17-1
php-imap-4.0.6-7
php-ldap-4.0.6-7
php-manual-4.0.6-7
php-mysql-4.0.6-7
asp2php-0.75.17-1
[edhill at XXX ~]$

installed on my system.  Did you look for the package on the second CD?
I don't have the 7.2 CDs handy, but I'm 99% sure it was included...

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu