[TriLUG] re: email server update

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Sun Feb 3 11:01:21 EST 2002

> Again, if y'all can help me re-assemble a heat-sink on a P3, I'll
donate
> the P2/400 it's replacing to the mail server. heck, if the P3 really
is
> burned out, maybe I can cannibalize it, and rebuild mine that way.

> (FYI - you can take the heat-sink off a p3 pretty easily. just be
> careful, 'cause the clips break pretty easily. don't ask)

Ahhh..  Sorry Kevin, when I read your last email I didn't grasp what you
were saying.  So it went in my "must be over my head" pile of things to
research "later when I have time".

You can certainly cannibalize the PIII and re attach it via the clips
that come with it.

As for if its truly burned out, I came to the conclusions based on the
following (when I was working at Vilcom):

I booted computer to log in remotely.  After about 10 minutes it locks
up to a black screen.  Reboot, get some weird error about a processor
error (or did it claim I had none?, don't remember).  Boot again --
works a little bit then I get a black screen again.  Boot again -- get
to that weird error again.  Next day, nothing changed.

Ripped Motherboard out (with cpu still attached), ripped Power supply
out, replaced with all AMD stuff and bigger PS.  Used old memory (which
oddly enough worked) in new CPU.  Had occasional lockups that went away
once I upgraded video card to nvidia.

More recently Running CPU underclocked (idea I got from brent) now
allows it to be used for short periods of time.  Entirely different
memory is in the box, different power supply, memory, hard drive.  Only
the motherboard and cpu are still the same.

Logically it COULD be the motherboard, but I strongly doubt it,
especially because it seems to crash during things that would utilize a
lot of CPU and always at least boots.

Here is the catch: The fan that came with the processor and heatsink was
obviously insufficient to protect it (or maybe the processor was just a
dud).  You're of course welcome to it, but you have been warned.

-Andy
--
www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!