[TriLUG] re: email server update

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sun Feb 3 11:33:30 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 11:01, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> You can certainly cannibalize the PIII and re attach it via the clips
> that come with it.

Cool!

> As for if its truly burned out, I came to the conclusions based on the
> following (when I was working at Vilcom):

OK, this *SCREAMS* bad CPU. If normal clocking causes lockups, but
under-clocking is mostly OK, I'd suspect the CPU more than the MoBo. It
could just be that the heat-sink (as per your analysis) isn't good
enough, but I doubt that - I've had P2 and P3 systems run for days
without fans, and the abuse I witnessed in IBM test labs was astounding.

> Here is the catch: The fan that came with the processor and heatsink was
> obviously insufficient to protect it (or maybe the processor was just a
> dud).  You're of course welcome to it, but you have been warned.

I have a known good CPU, but the cartridge and heat-sink were
disassembled with little care take to insure that it could be put back
together properly (by the original owner). I think we can work a deal.
Contact me off-list for trade day/time info *grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9