[TriLUG] Linux laptop battery

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Feb 3 10:46:32 EST 2002

On Monday 04 February 2002 03:55 am, M. Mueller (bhu5nji) wrote:

> Yup.  Changed from Windows ME to Mandrake 8.1.
>
> Here's another funny thing.  When I unplug the main power, apm -v still
> reports being on AC power.

Here's a long shot.  Does your battery have an on/off switch?  I once
assembled a laptop from spare parts, and it wouldn't stay on for more than a
few minutes without AC.  I finally decided to give up on researching APM and
attempt to replace the battery.  I opened the case to check the part number
for the battery, and I saw a little, red 1/0 switch on the battery itself.  I
assume that it's used for long-term storage.  I switched the battery on, and
it's still working well today.

This problem is unlikely given your symptoms, but I thought that I'd mention
it.

---Tom