[TriLUG] Linux laptop battery

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 23:34:51 EST 2002

I tarred up my user dir-tree and ftp'd it to another machince and re-loaded
Windows ME to see if that piece of cr-- would see the battery.  It did.  It
also saw the AC going in and out. Bummer.  I'll just live without the battery
with Linux.

I reloaded Mandrake 8.1.  ftp'd the user account dir-tree and untarred.  (I
learned that the system likes a reboot after this, but everthing came up fine
after that.)

I pulled the AC cord with Linux running and started my stop watch.

Some searching on "no system battery" on Google turned up several stories
about laptops showing:

APM BIOS 1.2 (kernel driver 1.14)
AC on-line, no system battery

1. with AC un-plugged
2. running on battery (like I was then)

Here's the best one:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0111.0/0356.html

It seems that my Compaq Presario 12XL500 might be running ACPI instead of APM
in the BIOS.  Check out the guilty parties at this web site:

http://www.acpi.info/index.html

Support for ACPI in Linux is seminal:

http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/acpi/acpi_howto.txt

I may have found my open-source calling - to be an ACPI guinea pig.

I just heard two very quiet beeps.  Could it be the remnants of APM telling
me the battery is low?  Stop watch is at 50 minutes.  Hmmm.  I plugged in the
power.  Still no usable information from apm -v. I am guessing that the
battery is OK after all.  May the restoration techniques suggested earlier
are responsible.

I checked that apmd was running, but it is probably ineffective since
/proc/apm is not giving any useful information.

<RANT>Way to go Microsoft, Phoenix, Intel, Compaq, and Toshiba.  No reason to
maintain backwards compatibility, eh?  Who do you really think is responsible
for this kind of value management?</RANT>

Thanks all,
Mike M.