[TriLUG] Its broke and I gotta fix it

Jturena at aol.com Jturena at aol.com
Thu Feb 7 20:56:51 EST 2002

This is rather selfish, but I have a system that "jammed" on me, and I am new
with Linux, and need to fix the problem, so was wondering if I could get any
help here, or not.
(the machine is in the hands of a repairman that cannot fix it because he
knows less about Linux than me, but I was hoping he would examine the
hardware-- I need to get the machine back from him)
Running RedHat7.0. Home PC.
Had Gnome open; had Netscape open; computer was sitting 'on'; woke up one
morning in the wee hours of the morning and heard my computer "cycling"
through a short rhythmic whirl. Interface was unresponsive; had to turn off
machine to proceed;
Turned back on-- during booting it read "primary master disk: None; primary
slave disk: None".
Where do I begin?  By telling you what is in it? Ask and I will try and tell
you-- but like I said, I am brand new with computers. With me it is all a big
learning process. This one a man put together for me +/- $900. (think I made
a mistake. But I wanted to learn GNU-Linux. Looks like I am going to get the
lessons I need).
(and could it have anything to do with the computer going to "screensaver"
and running through that entire file, and then whigging out? that would not
explain the 'lost' disks, though)
Anyway, as always, I would appreciate any comments.
Thanks in advance, for at least the opportunity to post this.
Jim