[TriLUG] Laptop Hell

M. Mueller (bhu5nji) bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 00:25:17 EST 2002

On Saturday 09 February 2002 10:46 pm, you wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>   The subject pretty much decribes how I'm feeling right now.
>
>   I recently bought a HP Pavilion laptop. It has a 1GHz Duron processor
> and uses the VIA KN133 chipset. It's a nice machine and was a good deal.

My latest baileywick is APM vs ACPI.

Is there any way you can check the status of power management and turn it off
completely?  Maybe just killing apmd will do the trick for a test. Newer
laptop's BIOS are using ACPI instead of APM.  Try running

$ apm -v

If you get:

APM BIOS 1.2 (kernel driver 1.14)
AC on-line, no system battery

When you have a battery in, then you've probably got ACPI.

I recall being able to lock up my Presario with an apm option to suspend to
HD.  apmd is running on my machine but it doesn't do anything unwanted or
destructive that I can tell.  I'll kill apmd and report back if anything
failed.

Maybe the rescue disk version is
1. not running apmd
2. not getting a chance to suspend to disk since you're busy

MIke M.