[TriLUG] Time slows post kernel update

Kevin Hunter khunter at rhoworld.com
Wed Feb 20 10:29:14 EST 2002

I recently posted a question about updating the kernel on my RH 7.2
system.  I updated from 2.4.7-10smp to 2.4.9-21smp.  I run a ntpdate
cronjob every morning to synch the time and on this system, the
offset has been more than 5 seconds.

An identical system running the 2.4.7-10smp kernel runs the same
ntpdate cronjob to the same time server and it's offset is a much
more reasonable .03 seconds.

I'm going to reboot to the old kernel and see what it does tomorrow
morning, but has anyone seen this happen before??  Could it be
something else?

The machine that is losing time is behind a firewall and is on a
10.x.x.x subnet.  The other system is on a routable subnet w/ a fixed
IP address.  I have other boxes on my 10.x subnet that ntpdate daily
and their offsets are all in the .0x range.  This on RH box is the
only one w/ a large offset, so I'm thinking it has to be the kernel
update.  The timing also is too coincidental.

Did I do something wrong ??

Here are the packages I downloaded and installed:

kernel-2.4.9-21.i686.rpm
kernel-headers-2.4.9-21.i386.rpm
kernel-smp-2.4.9-21.i686.rpm

I followed the how-to and did the update manually.

Thx in advance!!

KH