[TriLUG] Intrex and Linux Users

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 22 20:36:13 EST 2002

I personally did some follow-up today at INTREX to check this claim out. It
seems that they now have a "roving Linux guru" who will work on your Linux
machine IF (and it's a big "if") he happens to be at the store you want him
at on the day you can make. Even worse, he doesn't have a schedule to keep
(say Cary on mondays, Raleigh on Tues., for example only). So while you
might get a server fixed by him, you will be lucky to figure out his
schedule!! As a side note, unfortunately when I was in the Cary store I did
not get to talk with the person I wanted to talk with there!!!
    My interest in this is that I own one of their boxes and free service
comes with every box you buy from them. I was hoping to get my modem problem
solved by them gratis. But now I have no hope, unless I can get to one of
the upcoming installfests. I saw there was one at NCSU tomorrow, but no
directions were given to get there and the message was just received by me
tonight!
     So what's next?? We really need to figure out somewhere that we can do
these installfests on a small scale--a few newbies and a few oldtimers.
Actually I have such a location in mind and yes they have a highspeed
internet connection available for use! In fact, Russ Lyday (who is another
new Tri-lug member) and myself co-chair an internet users group (I-hug--the
oldest such user group in the area) on the FIRST THURS. of every month. What
I'm suggesting is that it may be possible for us to arrange the next I-Hug
meeting as yet another (albeit SMALL) installfest to be held at our I-Hug
location which is a graphics art company named GRAPHICSINK,LTD. Their
website is www.graphicsink.com and directions are available on that site.
Russ and I can probably provide the place and probably a high-speed internet
line (which we have used in the past on PC's) and a room for about 10-15
people. The only thing we must have is some experts to teach us something
about installing Linux and fixing the problems that arise from that process.
    Interestingly enough, this company already uses a REDHAT server which is
connected to Macs and a few PC's flawlessly. The owner of the company is the
proud owner of a new OSX machine with all the bells and whistles which he is
starting to learn how to operate. He is a Mac nut so stay away if  you hate
Macs!!
In other words, this is a very anti-Microsoft environment :-)
   I just need a few expert installation volunteers to come to a location
that isn't that far from Dreyfus Auditorium on the first Thursday night next
month. I'm primarily interested in Desktops and probably most of the regular
I-hug members are as well (it is after all a group set up to share info
about interesting new things that have been found by the group members
online).
    Addtional suggestions are certainly appreciated, but volunteer now or
forever hold your peace, as they say :-)
AL Johnson.
People bringing in their systems would definitely be welcome, but there
would have to be a limited number of systems brought in. We could accomplish
this by having a sign-up list and have it first come-first serve. Then we
could schedule some more Tri-lug members on another month. Russ and I are
always in need of great programs and I see this as definitely a great
program which I-Hug could co-sponsor with Tri-Lug.