Fwd: Re: [TriLUG] Sending mail is slow

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 11 23:06:41 EST 2002

... never mind...

Not scientific or anything, but I'm using Kmail on KDE and it runs great on
Linux - Sends fast too.

Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Sending mail is slow
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:05:18 -0500
From: Janyne Kizer <janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu>
To: trilug at trilug.org

The SMTP server is not on the local machine, we are sending mail via a
campus server.  Sendmail isn't even on locally (on Solaris either).  It
just that when a message is sent under Windows or Solaris, the message
disappears pretty much immediately and under Linux (at home or at work,
doesn't seem to matter what system that I am on) the Window stays up for
an extended period of time.  Like I said, it may not be that it *is*
faster, just that it appears to be.  We are using the Netscrape 4.7x
versions (the 6.x versions don't do 8-bit color) on our diskless
xterminals.  I am just trying to prepare for a bunch of users saying "my
netscape is slow."  Thanks!