[TriLUG] FW: Is it just me, or...

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 13 18:11:04 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 05:25:54PM -0500, Nathan Conrad wrote:
> Why does one use more swap space on a computer with more memory?
> Shouldn't it be the other way around? The more RAM, the less swap
> space? My thinking leads me to beleive that the rule of thumb should
> be something like the amount of swap space should be (x - RAM) MB
> where x is the total amount of memory needed. x may equal 100 for a
> terminal without X-windows, or maybe 500 for a general purpose computer.

Not for me. The machines that tend to have more RAM are the ones most in
danger of hitting swap hard because of the applications that run on
them, hence more swap.

Unfortunately there is no sane rule of thumb given the matrix of kernels
and interchangeable mm subsystems.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc