[TriLUG] booting from second HD using grub and rh7.2

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed Mar 20 09:51:38 EST 2002

On Dimecres 20 Març 2002 08:07 am, John F Davis wrote:
> Hello fellow trilugites,

Hello

> My colleague wants to dual-boot his redhat 7.2 computer with win2k on a
> second disk.  I told him no problem
> since I do that with lilo on debian everyday.  However, I'm using lilo 22.2
> and the lilo which comes on his
> 7.2 cdrom is 22.1 or something.  It appears that the older version doesn't
> support the lilo directive:
> disk=/dev/hdb
>       bios=0x80
> disk=/dev/hda
>       bios=0x81

LiLo should support this from an early version.

After changing the /etc/lilo.conf file , you need to make the changes active
running (as root) the command:

/sbin/lilo -v

Have you done that? It can be as easy as this.

> Yes, I know I could get a new lilo for him, but I know that GRUB is the
> standard bootloader with RH.  I figure
> this would be a good reason to learn GRUB, that is if it supports booting
> an os from a second hard disk.

> If it indeed supports booting from a drive other than disk0, please let me
> know.  Any pointers to using GRUB are also welcome.

Yes, GRUB supports booting from whichever partition on whichever disk you want
him to do so.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html

Hope this helps

Salut,
Sinner
--
"I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father
smelt of elderberries!"