[TriLUG] ORBZ is shutting down

mad lug at mad.rc4systems.net
Wed Mar 20 18:05:24 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Jon Carnes wrote:

> So the SOB's at Lotus write a broken MTA and would rather spend money on
> lawyers to put orbz out of business, than to fix their damn app.  One step
> back into the mire.
>...snip...

Back when mail-abuse.org became fee for service, me and a couple of other
people started a DNS based RBL.  It's open to the public at the moment,
and you are welcome to use it as long as it's available.  We called it
(for obvious reasons :-) MAD...mail abuse database.

We take input from E-Mail users and check the SMTP header and message to
determine if the message is UCE.  Then we enter the entire netblock that
hosts the spammer.  Be cautious before using it though.  We are a private
organization and are very unforgiving about which netblocks we enter into
the database.  We base our entry criteria based on our own personal needs.
Our IP communications requirements for SMTP might not sync up with yours
:-)  Just a week or so ago, we entered a 16 bit netblock belonging to
mindspring/earthlink.  We've also blocked most of mainland China and
numerous 8 and 16 bit blocks in other parts of Asia.  We were receiving a
lot of spam and hostile traffic from Asia.

Like I was saying though, we aren't very forgiving about who we put into
the database.  We do this part time and don't have a lot of time to put
toward it.

It's set up just like the DNS RBL was for mail-abuse.org...at least with
sendmail.

If you want to use it, the zone to query is mad.rc4systems.net.  The
M4 config for generating a sendmail.cf using our system is -

FEATURE(dnsbl,mad.rc4systems.net)dnl

HTH.

lug at mad