[TriLUG] ssh install

JoJo Almario jalmario at intrah.org
Thu Mar 21 09:39:43 EST 2002

Alright I screwed up again.  I needed to install a newer version os ssh on
one of my servers running redhat 7.0 (I know...evil release).  here are the
steps i took.

1.rpm -qa | grep openssh to see what version i was running.

2. rpm -e --no depsssh*

	it gave me an error message that /usr/libexec/ssh folder was not empty so I
emptied it.

3. ran rpm -e openssh* again seemed to do fine.

4. grabbed the tar.gz file for the latest ssh and confgiured make, and make
install on it.  seemed to do fine.  The sshd was no where to be found.  i
found an sshd.init and put that in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ then did a
chkconfig --level 345 sshd.init on, and that seemed to be fine.  tried to do
an /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd.init start and a /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start
neither of which worked.

Is there anywhere I missed looking for the sshd?
Would the rpm work better?
If so which ones should I grab?

TIA
JoJo