[TriLUG] filesystem error on upgrade to RH 7.2

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Mar 21 10:30:26 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Richard O. Hammer wrote:

> 	*** An error occurred during the file system check.
> 	*** Dropping you to a shell: the system will reboot
> 	*** when you leave the shell.
> 	Give root password for maintenance
> 	(or type Control-D for normal startup):
>
> After entering my password I get this prompt:
>
> 	(Repair Filesystem) 1 #
>
> I have discovered that I can do many things at this prompt.
> Most basic commands seem to be available.

I think what you're supposed to do here is run "fsck /dev/whatever" where
"whatever" is the disk that failed the test.  (Immediately about the "***
An error occurred" statement, you should see information about the failed
test).  You may get some messages that ask you if certain problems can be
fixed; this could result in lost data depending on the type of corruption.

Also, you said that "I consented to have a swap file elsewhere, 200 MB in
hda5."  Does that mean you setup a swap file within that partition, as
opposed to a separate swap partition?  This can be done, but I didn't
realize the installer would do that for you automatically.  Your
fstab is still showing /dev/hdb1 as swap, although it's certainly possible
to have multiple swap areas.

I'm not sure why you have "hdb3" setup with the "Minix" type; you could
use fdisk to change this to Linux, and then reformat that drive with
mke2fs.  Then you could reclaim this space to use for whatever.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy