[TriLUG] filesystem error on upgrade to RH 7.2

Richard O. Hammer ROHammer at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 21 13:58:18 EST 2002

Jeremy P wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Richard O. Hammer wrote:
> >       *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> >       *** Dropping you to a shell: the system will reboot
> >       *** when you leave the shell.
> >       Give root password for maintenance
> >       (or type Control-D for normal startup):
> >
> > After entering my password I get this prompt:
> >
> >       (Repair Filesystem) 1 #
> >
> > I have discovered that I can do many things at this prompt.
> > Most basic commands seem to be available.
>
> I think what you're supposed to do here is run "fsck /dev/whatever" where
> "whatever" is the disk that failed the test.  (Immediately about the "***
> An error occurred" statement, you should see information about the failed
> test).

Thank you.  Unfortunately I do not see a message telling what
device was being tested above that error message, although it
might have scrolled by too fast.  From what remains on the
screen before the error message I see:

	Process fsck (pid: 165, stackpgae=c38eb000)
	Stack: [three lines of 8-digit hex numbers]

	Call Trace: [more hex]

	Code: [20 2-digit hex numbers]
		[FAILED]

When I type: fsck /dev/ [hda | hda1 | hda2 | hda3 | hda5 | hdb
| hdb3]
It gives me one line:
	Parallelizing fsck version 1.23 (15-Aug-2001)

and then locks up.  It ignores Ctl-C and Ctl-Alt-Del; the only
way I know to get it to talk to me again is with the power
switch.

But when I type "fsck /dev/[hdb1 | hdb2]" it says something,
which may be intelligible to someone, and returns control.

With hdb1 it says:
	Parallelizing fsck version 1.23 (15-Aug-2001)
	fsck: fsck.swap: not found
	fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.swap for /dev/hdb1

With hdb2 it gives three lines which seem to be a clean bill
of health.

> Also, you said that "I consented to have a swap file elsewhere, 200 MB in
> hda5."  Does that mean you setup a swap file within that partition, as
> opposed to a separate swap partition?

Yes, as I recall it, that is what the installer offered to do.

>  Your
> fstab is still showing /dev/hdb1 as swap, although it's certainly possible
> to have multiple swap areas.

Yes.  My fstab shows two swap areas.  I've tried to change
this, to see what would result, but I can't edit fstab because
I can't write anything (the file system is mounted
"read-only").

> I'm not sure why you have "hdb3" setup with the "Minix" type; you could
> use fdisk to change this to Linux, and then reformat that drive with
> mke2fs.

I have Minix in that partition.  I use it occasionally as I am
studying my way through Andrew Tanenbaum's OS text which uses
Minix for teaching.

Rich Hammer

Below, in case any would like to see the context, I copy my
original question.