[TriLUG] DVD playback and Mandrake 8.2 using xine

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Thu Mar 21 18:26:14 EST 2002

I saw someone recently post that they were having some DVD playback
trouble on Mandrake.  Well I had the same problems and here is what I
did:

created a symlink from /dev/dvd to /cdrom/cdrom0 (or in my case the scsi
drive since my CDRW/DVD combo is in SCSI-IDE mode)

installed D4D for xine for linux to play back encrypted dvd's (doesn't
work directly for me, not sure why yet)

installed NAV for xine for linux to use DVD naviation to play DVD's.
This one works beatifully for me!  I played my first Linux DVD with it
("Tron" if you are curious :-) ).

I found all the above files at this site:

http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/~jcm/skyblade/XINE-0.9.8/i686.RPMs/

Hope that helps!

By the way the DVD button in Xine is only for playback of unencrypted
DVD files, so first you have to unencrypted the file off the DVD then
play if from the file, NAV gets around that and you play straight from
the DVD drive.  D4D is supposed to do the same as NAV, but I believe it
is dependent on hardware acceleration, which is my next trick for my
laptop's DVD.

Cheers,
David