[TriLUG] Hollings introduces renamed SSSCA to Senate

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Thu Mar 21 23:17:20 EST 2002

The Entertainment Industry's own Senator "Fritz" Hollings has introduced
his oft-discussed SSSCA bill into the Senate.  However, it has been
renamed the "Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act
(CBDTPA)".  (Gosh, what red-blooded American wouldn't want to promote
consumer broadband and digital television?!).  Make no mistake about it -
this is the same MPAA/RIAA-pruchased bill that would put Hollywood in
charge of your VCR, computer, CD writer, MP3 player, etc.

We must shed the political apathy and do something about this issue.
Write AND call Sens. Edwards and Helms, and your US Congressman.  Let them
know in no uncertain terms that you do not want Hollywood controlling your
technology.  Our vote is the only way we can combat the monetary payoffs
of the entertainment industry, so we have to use it.  Let Congress know
that we will not vote for anyone who supports this bill.

Good reference links include:
http://www.digitalconsumer.org/
http://digitalspeech.org/

We have to act or, like the DMCA (which most of our industry assumed would
never get passed, this bill will be used as a tool against us for years to
come.

--Wade

--
Fight for your rights in the digital age: