[TriLUG] Re: co-lo or at home?

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Sat Mar 23 10:57:44 EST 2002

[Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney]
> The question is where? And that question actually has two parts :

I'd recommend doing DNS elsewhere (lots of options - granitecanyon,
easydns, but I'd personally recommend dyndns' version at
http://www.dyndns.org/mydyndns/custom/ since it's a one-time $30 fee)
and then not bothering with the extra cash to go static.  I've recently
switched by dyndns client to ddclient while looking to help out a friend

http://burry.ca:4141/ddclient/ddclient-3.6.2-1.noarch.rpm

and it was crazy simple to configure

http://www.livejournal.com/talkread.bml?journal=hap&itemid=1002753&thread=1175553#t1175553

Keeping the DNS elsewhere and letting your IP stay dynamic will also
make it much simpler if you end up switching ISP's or broadband providers.

$.02 and all that :)

James
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4