[TriLUG] OT: hardware question & OpenBSD

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Mar 26 10:07:08 EST 2002

John Matthews [jvmatthe at math.duke.edu] wrote:

> Who doesn't want package management? That is to say, who doesn't want
> some of the drudgery of handling ever-complex software installs handled
> by the machines, especially if it can be done in a safe, reversible way?
> Or would they claim that that such a package management program cannot
> be made, or more importantly, can't be made securely?

Well, there -is- a package management system for OpenBSD, it's just
not everything that I would like.  However, there is a project
called "Open Packages" that aims to come up with a better package
management system for -all- of the BSDs (including Darwin).  You
can check it out at:
http://www.openpackages.org/

I think, in the near future, it might make it into OpenBSD proper.
It's not that the OpenBSD core developers don't want better package
management, they just have other things that are a higher priority.
Open Packages supports OpenBSD right now, and the main OpenBSD
developer for ports/packages is one of the project developers for
Open Packages.

I'm planning on giving Open Packages a -serious- look in the
near future.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost