[TriLUG] OT: hardware question & OpenBSD

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Mar 26 10:09:27 EST 2002

Chris Hedemark [chris at yonderway.com] wrote:
> Mike, OpenBSD has increasingly been winning my respect and admiration.  I'm
> using it in a production environment right now for a number of tasks and
> it's been a real pleasure, especially on lower end machines.

Woo hoo!

> Did you know there is a non-official project going on now to pair down
> OpenBSD even further?  Well, actually, there are several.  But one of the
> lists that I'm loosely following is removing some of the services like
> named, httpd, etc. that come installed but not enabled by default on
> OpenBSD.  There is also the emBSD project which I am not following.  While
> the purpose of these stripped OpenBSD projects is to make it a leaner
> firewall or VPN box, this also makes it more appropriate for a lightweight
> desktop machine IMHO.

Yeah, I've heard of it.  I'm not really all that interested in it
because it's so easy to remove those things if I don't want them.  I
really don't have disk space limitations (for those that don't know:
OpenBSD can install without X in about 400MB of disk, and be useable).

> I do wish it had some sort of package management like RPM or apt but I don't
> think the core developers would agree.

See my other post.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost