[TriLUG] Backing up remote systems

Kevin Hunter khunter at rhoworld.com
Wed Mar 27 16:38:33 EST 2002

I have a handful of web servers that I would like to back up w/ from
a particular box.  I've found references to rdump and to AMANDA.
AMANDA seems like a pretty complicated way to deal w/ a simple setup,
so I'm leaning towards rdump ( except that I hate that it seems to be
based on rsh which I definately don't want to use ).

Anyone have tips on how to backup *nix boxes to a remote *nix box?
Can I tunnel rdump through SSH?

I'm a big fan of keeping it simple.  I'm even thinking of using a
cron job to create tar.gz files of what I need to back up and scp'ing
them down to the box w/ the tape drive?  Does this sound silly ??

Thx for any and all advice!!!

KH