[TriLUG] Memory use with 2.4 kernel?

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Tue Apr 2 13:10:55 EST 2002

Michael Czeiszperger [czei at webperformanceinc.com] wrote:
> I'm sure this has been discussed on this list before, but I've recently
> upgraded my kernel at home to 2.4, and the memory usage seems to be really
> high. I've got a 256MB box, and top reports the darn thing is using most of
> it. I've turned off everything that's not in use.
>
> Call me crazy, but I kind of expect a 256MB box to be able to handle a
> vanilla workstation KDE configuration with no servers or any other extra
> software running.

Are you actually experiencing performance problems?  The kernel is pretty
aggressive in it's caching; it tries to use all of the memory if it can, but
memory that's not needed by programs gets used for caching disk access and
such.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com) http://ranger.befunk.com/
I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless