[TriLUG] LILO questions

Richard O. Hammer ROHammer at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 3 16:18:42 EST 2002

Using LILO, I would like to be able to boot my machine into
either RH 7.0 or RH 7.2 (as well as into Win98 and Minix, but
those are not the issue now).

The documentation I've seen tells how to make LILO boot one
Linux kernal or another -- with either chosen kernel using the
same root filesystem.  But I want to vary the whole
installation -- /root partition, /boot partition, and all --
and have LILO start one of these Linuux installations or the
other.  How do I do this?

Should I do this?  In the configuration file, /etc/lilo.conf,
enter one of my Linux installations as
	image=...
and the other as
	other=...
?

I am confused about the use of the string "boot" in the
lilo.conf examples I've seen.  For example, in _Red Hat Linux
7 Unleashed_, page 59, there is a sample lilo.conf file, the
first two lines of which are:
	boot=/dev/hda
	map=/boot/map .
Am I correct that there is no relation between "boot" in line
1 and "boot" in line 2? the boot referenced in line 2 is not
the boot set in line 1?

Thanks,
Rich Hammer