[TriLUG] Linux and RoadRunner ( was Linux and ATT)

Ken Mink ken.mink at porivo.com
Fri Apr 5 11:21:42 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 10:51, Al Koscielny wrote:
> > Good. You should probably send an email to customer relations saying why
> > you're dropping. And when the telemarketers start calling you, it'd be a
> > good way to vent by telling them how ATT isn't in tune with the Linux
> > and free software markets. :^)
>
> RoadRunner went south briefly on Tuesday, so I called Time Warner tech
> support to ask about network problems.  The second question the support
> person asked was "Which operating system are you running?"  When I said
> Linux, the support person replied, "We don't support Linux."
>
> --
> Al Koscielny
> alko at nc.rr.com
> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

  I've had the same experience with RR tech support. In my case a faulty modem(I know they're not technically modems) was losing sync with the hub upstream. All the lights on the modem would go out and I'd lose connectivity. The automaton on the phone wouldn't  begin to help once I said I was running Linux and had a firewall. I kept trying to explain that I didn't want them to support Linux, that I wanted them to support their network. She hung up on me.
  I called back in to the same number. I got a different person. I
explained my problem. He never once asked anything about my
configuration. The next day a tech was out with a new modem.
  It's a roll of the dice when you call in. Some techs are good and some
aren't. It's a shame you got a bad one.

Ken
--
Ken Mink