[TriLUG] BIND 4 Help

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 7 03:06:42 EDT 2002

On Saturday, April 6, 2002, at 09:14 PM, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 20:30, Bill Vinson wrote:
>> I am trying to get BIND 4 running on my Sparc IPX with OpenBSD 3.1
>> snapshot (Yes, I know it isn't Linux, but it is Open Source :)
>
> No complaints here.

Well, in addition the Linux kernel is supposed to have memory managment
issues on the Sun-4C systems which renders it much slower than it should
be.  Seems BSDs are best for this class of system.

My only problem is now that I have had some time with this sparc, I want
more.  At least one or two more.  I love this thing.  Maybe a SPARC 10,
a 5, or a 20.  Then maybe graduate up to an Ultra somewhere down the
line.  I'm even thinking about getting into Solaris (No! ;) and maybe an
SGI Indigo or Octane.  I have caught the restoration bug big time and
will probably be avoiding x86 hardware for some time.  This is going to
be really bad for my budget :)

> You've gotten farther than me.  I've been trying to install it via the
> very convoluted miniroot-on-solaris-swap-partition method.  When I get
> an opportunity near a CD-R drive sometime (don't have one here yet) I'll
> just put miniroot on there and be done with it.

Hmmm...I tried netbooting the IPX, but never could get it to work.  I
got netbsd to boot over the network for an install, but I was missing
something about OBSD.  I also believe the Sun-4C systems (1, IPC, IPX)
aren't as well thought of when coding occurs as boot floppy images and
netboot have had problems with the IPX from what I hear even with
release code (i.e. 3.0).  Had to grab a post release snapshot to get the
floppy to boot or drop down to 2.9.  Not sure if I am familiar with how
you are trying to install?

> Hmmm did you nmap your machine to see if anything was listening?
>
> I've set up named on OpenBSD 3.0 / x86 and it was pretty easy IIRC.  Did
> you happen to follow the OpenBSD FAQ?  It lays everything out pretty
> thoroughly for setting up BIND IIRC.  Just wondering what you've done
> thus far to get BIND 4 running.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was using the OBSD FAQ, but misread
something.  I ended up figuring it out in a round about way.  I had
given up on the bind for the time being and was working on ntp which
required a reboot in OBSD due to the fact that it runs before the secure
level change.  Anyway, named started right up on reboot as I had already
set that in rc.conf.  Not sure why ndc start wouldn't work until it had
been rebooted once, but it did have a lot of errors in the log for me to
look at.  The problem after I looked at it for a while turned out to be
that the OBSD FAQ had what looked to be a linefeed in the middle of the
SOA record, but it was merely a line wrap in their example.  After I
removed the return and got the first part of the SOA on one line it
worked perfectly...

Thanks,
Bill