[TriLUG] BIND 4 Help

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sat Apr 6 21:14:13 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 20:30, Bill Vinson wrote:
> I am trying to get BIND 4 running on my Sparc IPX with OpenBSD 3.1
> snapshot (Yes, I know it isn't Linux, but it is Open Source :)

No complaints here.

You've gotten farther than me.  I've been trying to install it via the
very convoluted miniroot-on-solaris-swap-partition method.  When I get
an opportunity near a CD-R drive sometime (don't have one here yet) I'll
just put miniroot on there and be done with it.

> I am trying to set it up to cache for all domains and provide dns for my
> small private network.  I chose BIND 4 as that is the default with
> OpenBSD and it is supposedly better analyzed from a security standpoint
> by the OBSD team.  So, anyway, I have all the files edited and I type
> 'ndc start'.  Nothing happens, no messages in the logs that I have
> found, no named processes, nothing.

Hmmm did you nmap your machine to see if anything was listening?

I've set up named on OpenBSD 3.0 / x86 and it was pretty easy IIRC.  Did
you happen to follow the OpenBSD FAQ?  It lays everything out pretty
thoroughly for setting up BIND IIRC.  Just wondering what you've done
thus far to get BIND 4 running.

> I thought about using BIND 8 as the library has the "DNS & BIND" book
> from O'Reilly, but it doesn't cover BIND 4 in this version and I don't
> really want to add BIND 8 to the system...

In one of Theo De Raadt's rare moments of being considerate, he answered
some questions of mine recently regarding BIND and admitted that the
OpenBSD team was strongly considering BIND 9 for a near future release.
Not much more detail than that, sorry to say.