[TriLUG] Crossover Office runs Office2K very well.

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Mon Apr 8 23:59:39 EDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 09:55:18PM -0400, karl thiele wrote:
> The last product I was really impressed with was/is Vmware, In the
> company I work for, Office2K is the standard and I have run it via
> vmware. But I have tried and bought Crossover Office.I have now used it
> for about 10 days and it runs Word, Excel, PowerPoint, FrontPage and
> OutLook very well, almost perfect. The paper clip does not work, oh
> darn! Thier web page is very accurate describing the completeness of the
> features. The support/bug list is on line as well as all responces.

My experience corroborates this report. Although I prefer OpenOffice,
this is a tremendous step forward for integration.

> There are also plugin support. windows media works.... QuickTime...

Works quite well, I use these on my personal workstation.

> I do not often get excited about a product, but it has been wonderful so
> far. It is also faster than W2K, Excel starts up in about 5 seconds.
> Cost is $59 for Crossover Office and $29 for pulgin support. Yes this is
> built on wine, best I have seen, I have not run wine for over 2 years
> because I ran Vmware, but I have not run vmware now since I bought
> crossover.

Codeweavers and Transgaming have added tremendously to the WINE project.
I'm looking forward to their integrating the additions into the original
source tree.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc