[TriLUG] OT: RR Networking Question

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Thu Apr 11 09:49:30 EDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:37:32AM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 05:34, M. Mueller wrote:
>
> > I have Earthlink DSL.  The DNS servers take a break every now and
> > then.  There are two servers, so I ping one and then the other and
> > compare.  I don't know a lot about DNS but they seem to throttle
> > every request you make - even if you "ping 222.111.55.2" for
> > example, the DNS will look "222.111.555.2" up and you will take a
> > delay.
>
> That would be interesting, considering that if you give ping, or
> any other program an ip address *it doesn't look it up in DNS*!

It's true that programs will not query DNS for the IP address given, but
some programs -- like traceroute -- will still do DNS queries as part of
their normal operation even when initially handed an IP address.  I've
found this slows traceroute down significantly when I'm trying to debug
a slow network issue.  The solution for traceroute is to pass it the
"-n" parm to tell it to print hop addresses numerically and not do DNS
queries.

Mike

--
Mike Broome