[TriLUG] OT: RR Networking Question

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Apr 11 10:04:32 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 09:49, Mike Broome wrote:

> It's true that programs will not query DNS for the IP address given, but
> some programs -- like traceroute -- will still do DNS queries as part of
> their normal operation even when initially handed an IP address.  I've
> found this slows traceroute down significantly when I'm trying to debug
> a slow network issue.  The solution for traceroute is to pass it the
> "-n" parm to tell it to print hop addresses numerically and not do DNS
> queries.

Hi Mike,

You are correct.  I forgot that certain programs, like ping
and traceroute, will do a reverse dns lookup when given
an ip address (Sorry about that, I haven't had any caffeine
yet today. :-).  The "-n" parameter tells them to bypass
this reverse dns step.

Tanner
(who will try to think more before posting next time.. :-)