[TriLUG] OT: More on the RR Network issue

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 11 11:19:36 EDT 2002

I should have been more specific earlier, but I hadn't really thought
clearly enough about the e-mail prior to sending it.  I was simply using
the DNS servers as a point of reference.  All connections had dropped to
nearly nothing.  I do run BIND internally for my lan and for caching, so
I only use RR's DNS as a backup.  But, when I have an issue I normally
check connectivity to the DNS servers as a matter of convenience.  Oh, I
checked my bandwidth with their speed test (yeah I know it is crappy :)
during these slowdowns and it was around 9kb/s.  Which is something I
haven't ever seen even during peek times with RR.

So, everything starts getting slow and what correct itself until a cable
modem power cycle.  If I restart networking without power cycling it
doesn't find an ip address and simply keeps looking until it has failed.

Thanks again.
Bill