[TriLUG] OT: More on the RR Network issue

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Thu Apr 11 13:08:32 EDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Chris Merrill wrote:

> Reginald Reed wrote:
> > As a side note, my cable modem runs fine, but my two digital cable boxes
> > can't do PPV.  Its been administratively (supposedly) turned on by TWC,
> > but I don't think there is enough signal strength to send commands.  For

I wasn't getting good throughput on my digital cable on the higher
(digital) channels when it was installed:
dropped blocks on the video, a couple of channels with
no sound, etc. They sent a tech out who installed a signal booster (2
parts, 1 inline at the cable point at the street and one on a wallwart
power adaptor into the cable box inside the house). The tech commented
that the cable run from the street to the house (70, 80 yards) should have
been done with cat5 instead of the coax, that cat5 wouldn't have the
signal loss on the higher bands.

Steve Burnett
burnett at pobox.com