[TriLUG] Re: up2date

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Wed Apr 17 12:18:14 EDT 2002

[Steve Thorpe]
> Noticed the posting about up2date and thought I would add
> my $.02 worth... personally I prefer to put the new rpms
> on at my own discretion (using "rpm -Fvh" or "rpm -ivh")
> so I control exactly which rpms go on there, and when.

You can just add the -d flag to up2date and it'll just fetch the
recommended rpm's into /var/spool/up2date/ and nothing else so you can
install or whatever when/where/how you want.  This is true both in update
(-u) mode "fresh install" mode (like up2date ethereal which would also
suck in the 9 deps it needs thanks to imho broken gnome deps)

There's always gonna be a lot of NIH, but at least in most cases RHN seems
to work just fine :)
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4