[TriLUG] Re: up2date

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Sun Apr 21 07:48:59 EDT 2002

[2002-04-17 12:15] Tanner Lovelace said:
| On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 10:40, Steve Thorpe wrote:
|
| > Dear Jeff an other TriLUGgers,
| >
| > Noticed the posting about up2date and thought I would add
| > my $.02 worth... personally I prefer to put the new rpms
| > on at my own discretion (using "rpm -Fvh" or "rpm -ivh")
| > so I control exactly which rpms go on there, and when.
| > However it was a continual drag to have to wait a LOOOONG
| > time to download the RPMs from the Red Hat site.  My
| > solution was a home grown alternative to up2date. I wrote
| > a simple script which I run as a cron job prior to each
| > work day, with the following cron tab entry:
|
| Might I suggest another way. :-)  Since Conectiva has ported
| apt to use rpm, and people have setup redhat apt repositories,
| you can just go to http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/, download and
| install apt for rpm and point it to their 7.2 updates repository
| (they also appear to have 6.2).  Then, I believe, you should just
| be able to do

I must second this suggestion.  Being a debian user who manages
RH systems at work and for clients, I've found that even a redhat
system can be made to make quick work of mundane system maintenance :-)

Another nicety is that you can set up your own apt archives to
distribute custom software to systems using your archive. nice.

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman