[TriLUG] x windows nolisten option

Jerry gordon at med.unc.edu
Wed Apr 17 13:51:12 EDT 2002

Hello,
	I saw a post here a few weeks ago stating that x windows could be made
not to listen on port 6000 with the -nolisten tcp option. When I run
"startx -- -nolisten tcp" in run level 3 I get the desired effect: "lsof
| grep LISTEN" no longer shows x listening on port 6000. But for run
level 5 when I add "-nolisten tcp" to the ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X"
line in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers x windows comes up in listening on port
6000. I have rtfm and have found nothing that worked for run level 5.
	My perhaps short question is how do I get x to come up in run level 5
without listening on port 6000? My longer question is how is x being
started in run level 5? Which scripts and config files?
	This is an everything install of RedHat Linux 7.2 so I have both gnome
and kde. I am using kde.
	Thanks very much,
Jerry
--
Gerald W. Gordon, Ph.D.
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology

919/966-2941 (vox)
919/966-1856 (fax)
Gordon at med.unc.edu (email)