[TriLUG] Re: console access through serial port?

M. Mueller mmueller at signalnetware.com
Thu Apr 18 11:43:17 EDT 2002

On Thursday 18 April 2002 11:16 am, lfwelty wrote:

> Ummmmm, that's kind of a stupid question, of course it will allow
> you to run headless.  I guess what I mean is, if it passes your vga
> to the tty, will you be able to boot headless?  I don't suppose it
> changes your bios... so not likely... :/

You won't see the bios stuff.

> > > To get kernel info output to the serial line (and lose it on the VGA
> > > line), in lilo.conf add:
> > > serial=0,38400n8
> > >         image=blah
> > >         append="console=ttyS0,38400"

I used:
              append="console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0"

> > > and to get a vty on your serial line, in inittab add something like:
> > >         s0:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty ttyS0 DT38400 ansi

I downloaded and compiled mgetty+sendfax 1.1.27 so I could control some
compile time options.  The level 9 debug messages in this version of mgetty
are very helpful in debugging.

> > > Then connect up the proper cable (Null modem for computer to computer)
> > > and run minicom or some other terminal program on it.

> > > There's a few different things you can do (gdb?) to crash a system, you
> > > should be able to find that on google... but I wonder if that kernel
> > > config option "SysRq key" would help you here.  Check the kernel stuff
> > > on that one.

go to /usr/src/linux; make xconfig; select kernel hacking and read help on
Magic SysReq;

It seems that you are pursuing serial console access to your Linux system in
hopes of having some back door through which you can enter a crashed system
and inspect the damage and prescribe a remedy.  You may be dissapointed.  If
a system is so badly off that it won't let you use keyboard and VGA I/O, then
there is a good chance that the serial I/O drivers will not function either.

If you pursue using kernel hacking tools like SysReq and KDB you face a steep
learning curve on learning to manipulate the kernel environment.  The
granularity of information you gain in this approach is too fine to be of
much use to you as a system adminstrator or system user.

And for the final disappointment, when I was running null modems, my systems
did not respond to the 3-finger salute.  Maybe they would have if I spent
more time trying to figure out the reason.  Part of the problem is that
serial control is passed around during the various stages in a system's
lifecycle.  So if the 3-salute problem is solved in one stage, it may require
another solution in another stage.  You don't want to solve that problem
right now. Also, there's no guarantee the salute will work on a crashed
system.

--
Michael Mueller
Signalnetware, Inc.