[TriLUG] Re: console access through serial port?

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Thu Apr 18 18:46:43 EDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:43:17AM -0400, M. Mueller wrote:
> On Thursday 18 April 2002 11:16 am, lfwelty wrote:
> > Ummmmm, that's kind of a stupid question, of course it will allow
> > you to run headless.  I guess what I mean is, if it passes your vga
> > to the tty, will you be able to boot headless?  I don't suppose it
> > changes your bios... so not likely... :/
>
> You won't see the bios stuff.

There is a video card that pretends to be an ultra-boring adapter, and
spits everything out its own serial port.  Video Weasel or something
like that.

Almost sounds like what you're looking for is a watchdog timer that
forces a memory dump to the swap device to be picked up on the next
boot.

jf
--
John Franklin