Houses (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: FUD alert!)

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Mon Apr 22 13:28:22 EDT 2002

> > Actually, that's not entirely true.  In my current house, I had them
> > run cat 5 everywhere they ran a telephone line.  I also told my
> > builder I would put in the phone/ethernet jacks after I moved in.
> > My house passed inspection no problem.  I think, though, that if
> > you were talking about electrical outlets, you would be correct.
> > (Also, it probably varies by jurisdiction..)

Don't know what the specifics where  in your application, but I have been
called to a job site in the area to terminate net cable in order for an
electrical inspection to pass. So I can  make a difference. That particular
instance was commercial construction rather than residential, so I guees
residential is more lax.

> >From my understanding, the National Electric Code (NEC)
> doesn't regulate
> low-voltage wiring such as CAT5.  Therefore, it's not even considered
> electrical wiring in the elctrical inspection.  As far as the
> electrical
> inspector is concerned, it's as irrelevant as a water pipe.[1]
>
> It's possible that local jurisdictions have additional rules governing
> low-voltage wiring, but unlikely.  Most just follow the NEC.

Again, there must be some code referencing this type of wiring, as an Apex
building inspector wouldn't pass a job I did untill the network cable was
terminated.

The point I was trying to make was that it would be best to play it safe.
Causing an inspection to fail is probably something that will not make your
builder happy. They have to pay for re-inspections. Also note that all
jurisdictions are not equal. They do differ form locale to locale. At least
that has been my experiance....

JJ