Houses (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: FUD alert!)

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 23 11:26:26 EDT 2002

I'm a huge fan of the wireless approach for almost every use.  I picked up a
Lucent AP-500 access point and a couple Orinoco Silver cards as a temporary
measure while I was figuring out where to run my cat 5 cables.  Since that
time I have discovered that 802.11b is the best thing since sliced bread.
I've had to move my computers a number of times which is now just as easy as
plugging them back into electrical power in a new spot - and the laptops are
fantastic with wireless.  I can surf on the back porch, bedroom, wherever.

Now, there are the standard problems with 802.11b and security - but I do
almost all my stuff with ssh so I don't worry about it too much.  Plus I live
in a technical black hole outside of Youngsville and most people don't even
have dial-up internet.

So, I'd say even if you are planning on running cables everywhere take a look
at 802.11b as well.

Greg