[TriLUG] monitoring process memory?

Dana Smith Dana.Smith at Altroutestudios.com
Wed Apr 24 16:08:32 EDT 2002

I'm doing some benchmarking on Red Hat 7.2 and am wondering if there is an easy way to monitor the memory usage of a particular process. I've been using /usr/bin/time to monitor execution times and have tried the --verbose flag, but I get zeroes for all the memory stats:

	User time (seconds): 77.94
	System time (seconds): 11.59
	Percent of CPU this job got: 4%
	Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 31:12.89
	Average shared text size (kbytes): 0
	Average unshared data size (kbytes): 0
	Average stack size (kbytes): 0
	Average total size (kbytes): 0
	Maximum resident set size (kbytes): 0
	Average resident set size (kbytes): 0
	Major (requiring I/O) page faults: 35431
	Minor (reclaiming a frame) page faults: 2149107
	Voluntary context switches: 0
	Involuntary context switches: 0
	Swaps: 0
	File system inputs: 0