[TriLUG] monitoring process memory?

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Wed Apr 24 22:18:08 EDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 04:08:32PM -0400, Dana Smith wrote:
> I'm doing some benchmarking on Red Hat 7.2 and am wondering if there is an easy way to monitor the memory usage of a particular process. I've been using /usr/bin/time to monitor execution times and have tried the --verbose flag, but I get zeroes for all the memory stats:

Hrm, 2.5 has some /proc/meminfo additions (or last I checked lkml, some
guys from IBM were hacking on it). You might try a profiler. I've had a
_tiny_ bit of experience with oprofile (oprofile.sf.net).

I believe the latest set of -ac patches to 2.4[-pre] have some cosmetic
additions as well.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc