[TriLUG] Looking for Remote access to Unix boxes via Wintel

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Apr 29 11:41:13 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 10:26, Jon Carnes wrote:
> Cygwin sort of does this, but is limited in that it gives you the whole
> desktop rather than simply a GUI connection.  I'm sure Cygwin will be able
> to do this in the future (since its docs tout this functionality), but it
> ain't there yet.  Please correct me if I am wrong!

Jon,

I'm a Hummingbird user and can say if you end up going that route, it is
a very nice package.  But back to your question.

It sounds like Cygwin's default behavior might be to initiate an XDMCP
query or broadcast.  Does it have an option buried somewhere to act as
more of a passive X server?  If so, you may be able to couple it with an
ssh client like putty.  Putty will let you encapsulate X11 traffic
through the ssh tunnel just like our own UNIX ssh will do.  Putty
doesn't provide the X11 server but assumes that you already have one
running on your UNIX desktop.

The XFree86.org site says that their X server has been ported to
Cygwin.  I wonder if they have an option on that platform to disable the
root window which should preserve the Windows desktop and then only
display any X11 clients you happen to be running.

Here's a screen shot of Hummingbird running on a Windows 2000 box, doing
an XDMCP query (full screen) to a Solaris box and still having some
Windows apps running in the foreground.

http://www.yonderway.com/images/desktop.jpg

There's another free X11 server out there as well.  I tried it a couple
of years ago and didn't think much of it.
http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/