[TriLUG] Re: [TriLUG] =?iso-8859-1?Q?Concerns_about_public_mail_archives_(was:_The_Samba_Question_ you_posted_about_printing)?=

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Apr 29 22:05:51 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 16:13, Peter Long wrote:
> I am a little concerned by the fact that the trilug mailing list archives
> are publicly searchable. What are the chances of a web-spider type thing
> harvesting our email addresses from these archives?

In your case, it is very likely because you put your email address in
your signature.

Mailman has been configured to obscure your address in the headers
specifically for this purpose.  By putting your email address in your
signature you are circumventing our attempts at protecting you from spam
harvesters.