[TriLUG] Concerns about public mail archives (was: The Samba Question you posted about printing)

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Tue Apr 30 09:53:56 EDT 2002

> How about just putting a space after each at sign? Or, are the
> email-address harvesters smarter than that? This method has the
> advantage that no information is lost during the removal of email
> addresses from the archive.

+1.  if the script could just replace the @ sign with something like (at),
that should discourage spam harvesters, without rendering the content
unreadable for people who actually want to use it.  i'm very much in favor
of this approach...

> Or maybe a 'members only' archive with
> addresses?

-1.  i think having our archives public is a good thing; there's a wealth
of useful information in there, and i'm in favor of sharing it.
maintaining two parallel archives (public and private) would be a waste of
disk space and admin cycles.  i think there are better ways to skin that
cat. :)

							lisa

--
lisa lorenzin  |  lorenzin at 1000plus.com  |  http://www.1000plus.com/lisa/
of what avail is an open eye if the heart is blind? - solomon ibn gavirol