[TriLUG] installfest server - something's got to give

H Brett Bolen wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Wed May 1 11:19:22 EDT 2002

Jeremy P wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2002, H Brett Bolen wrote:
>

>>I'd like to try ydl 2.2  or mandrake 8.2 for PPC on my old
>>c500 clone.  Currently it's running mdk 8.0, but it was a bear
>>to set up, Mainly because it only has 80M ram.
>

> Did you mean 8 MB of RAM?  I would think 80M would be plenty.

no 80Mb of ram.  the ppc takes more memory than the x86, might
be a risc/cisc thing ( although there aren't any real risc
general purpose computers).

All common distibutions failed when i used the normal installer, because
they use X ( which is a big memory hog on the ppc).  The only way
i got it to install was to use the mandrake text install.

Plenty of hard disk space -- I think I ahve 6G partitioned for
linux.

Check out #2 @  http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3

Also it is often the case that the install program requires more memory
than the minimum required for use.

b\375